Abádszalók - Where the summer is programme! Magyar verzió... Deutsche version...
Abádszalók - Capitol of the Tisza-lake


    The village of Abádszalók, with 5079 inhabitants, lies between the towns of Szolnok and Tiszafüred, on the left bank of the River Tisza and on the western edge of the Nagykunság. It was originally two villages, Tiszaabád and Tiszaszalók, which had united and dissolved many times from 1849 before they finally merged in 1896. The very first record of Abád is in the chronicles of Anonymus. He mentions the locality as an important ferry point ruled by Thonuzaba, a Pecheneg chieftain. The name Szalók derives from Zaluch, a clan name of Turkish origin from the time of the Conquest of the Hungarians.


    Charters make frequent mention of the village from 1271. However, it was probably abandoned between 1697 and 1717, because no mention is made of it in a charter dated 1703. With little or no natural resources to foster industry, farming has always been the mayor shaping force in the life of Abádszalók. Yet, in 1740, 44 German craftsmen and their families settled here, many of whose Magyarised descendants still continue the traditional craft of their elders. Rush-work weaving and wickerwork, with abundant supplies of raw material from the reedy banks of the Tisza, were also flourishing.

    
    Many local women acquired skills as lace-makers in the Halas lace-making house, and the art has been successfully preserved in some families.

    The construction of the dam at Kisköre a few kilometers away, and the adjoining reservoir, Lake Tisza, ushered in a new era for the community Abádszalók. The village became a mayor resort on the shores of the lake, which covers an area of 127 km2.
    

 

    

    An oasis for water sports, anglers, hunters from Hungary and abroad, Abádszalók has a lot more than to offer in summer when a string of cultural events, "Summer in Abádszalók" takes place every year. More than 40 facilities- restaurants, bars, guesthouses, a campsite and boat landing stage - are at the disposal of visitors.



   The Baroque church has a braided pulpit and a baptism font from 1790. Mihály Kovács, an acclaimed artist born in Abádszalók, painted the altar pictures. The special feature of the Calvinist church is a massive angular tower in front of the facade. The southern arm of Lake Tisza, the bay of Abádszalók, covers 14 km2. In the summer, sailboats, surfers and jet skis furrow the waters as lovers of sun, clean air and clear water relax on the gently sloping sandy shores. Trips made on the dam by bicycle on horseback or on foot offer experiences differing from those one can have by rowing on the water.

 

 

Local Government...
Tourinform offices in the Tisza-lake region...
Summer 2003 in Abádszalók programme series...
Trips, sites, publications...
Private lodgings, official accomodation...